Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Queens Museum InstaMeet Wide Angle Wednesday



The sun is starting to set behind the Museum
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/8, 1/640sec, 640ISO, 11mm

A little after joining Instagram, one of the things I was hoping to achieve through it was a free helicopter tour of New York City. I still haven't obtained that, but I was invited to my first private Instameet at the end of August.

Atrium
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/3.2, 1/200sec, 1600ISO, 16mm
 One of the people I follow started a hashtag call #Queenscapes (also his screenname now). When searching through this tag, you get to see the diversity of the borough. Often times, the outer boroughs have this feeling of second class citizens since Manhattan is what everyone usually wants to see. Queenscaps celebrates Queens, my adopted home since November of 2007. 

The minute I found this project, I became a supporter of the tag. It pushed me to try to capture my viewpoint of Queens, to show the rest of the world how great my new borough was. I also live in a part of Queens that doesn't have a view of the Manhattan skyline, so I really tried to capture things that I love about this county (the county and borough have the same name). I still have a lot more to explore, and I doubt I'll ever be done.

Lines and Shades
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/5, 1/80sec, 1600ISO, 11mm
The Instameet took place after hours at the Queens Museum, located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, the site of the 1939 and 1964 World's Fair. The physical structure of the Queens Museum was built for the 1939 World's Fair, and contains one of the gems of the 1964 Fair, the Panorama of New York City. You can read more about the World's Fair on a previous blog posts here and here.
It was a pleasure to meet some of the people who I follow on Instagram, to put a face to the screenname. It was nice to take our time and explore the exhibits on our own time without too many other people there. Unfortunately, I still have not really gone through my pictures from that meet to post them. I will attempt to fill up a couple of posts with some of the highlights from the displays I captured.

Goodnight Queens
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/5, 1/125sec, 1250ISO, 11mm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment