Wednesday, November 29, 2017

New Lens Wide Angle Wednesday!!

Recently, I was able to obtain the Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM lens. I haven't used it too much for personal photos, have used it to capture a couple of my company's events we lit. So the shots I have taken are mostly of my commute. This post is my initial feedback on this lens.

LIRR M7 Interior shot at Penn Station

The lens is big, the front glass element protrudes very far, almost to the point of pushing past the built in lens hood. The lens cap is very large because of that fact, and you cannot mount normal screw filters to this lens. There is a filter slot in the back, and I believe Lee makes an adapter set, but I haven't tried those yet.

In addition to the size, it also is one of the heaviest lenses I have handled. It weighs about 2.5 pounds, which doesn't seem like much until you start lugging it around, either on the camera or in the camera bag. 

Downtown Bound M Train from Queens

But the sharpness of this lens! So far I am finding it to be sharp throughout the frame. And there is also minimal flare from light sources hitting the lens, unlike the fisheye lens and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens I used before. 

I need to spend some more time with this lens. It is wide though!! 11mm on a full frame body is amazing! So far I am loving it, I just need to build up my strength so I can bring it everywhere. 

Seagram's Building in Manhattan at night

No comments:

Post a Comment