Monday, June 20, 2016

Museum Monday

Yesterday was my fourth Father's day as a dad. I had spent the day before working, and my daughter and wife are going out of town for two weeks without me soon. So I wanted to spend the day with her, just her and I.

I offered my daughter the choice of three places, the Natural History Museum, The Met, or the New York Hall of Science in Queens. At first, she wanted the Natural History Museum, I mean, what 4 year old doesn't love the dinosaur bones?! But the Hall of Science had a Brickfest, a Lego installation around the venue. So I was able to talk her into that since they had a bunch of stuff for the Brickfest that was only going to be there yesterday.

Woody
FujiFilm FinePix XP90 f/4.4, 1/25s, 200ISO, 7.7mm 

We traveled light, we took the LIRR to the subway, as I didn't want to deal with Mets traffic, and the kid likes an adventure like that as well. I chose to leave my DSLR at home, and brought a little Fuji XP90, a waterproof and shockproof camera. We picked it up recently to use in the water, and to allow our daughter to have a camera that is okay if it gets dropped.

She loves the "robot", a interactive version of the Mars lander. Kids can send a sequence of movements to the lander, and then watch it carry them out.  She also likes the interactive environment in the Great Hall, which is video that shows different climates. You can redirect the water on the floor, plant seeds, chop down trees.

Rocket Ship
FujiFilm FinePix XP90 f/6.2, 1/350s, 100ISO, 5mm
There was also free mini golf that day, the playground was open (where she wanted to spend a ton of time on the pyramid rope thingy), and free face painting. After our trip there, we ate at a Mexican joint in Corona I have been meaning to try. And ended our outing with some lemon ices from the Lemon Ice King of Corona.

Taco Quartet
FujiFilm FinePix XP90 f/3.9, 1/8s, 800ISO, 5mm

No comments:

Post a Comment