Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Watery Wide Angle Wednesday

 
Nightfall as viewed from the venue
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/8, 2.5sec, 100ISO, 11mm


I have been photographing a lot of our company events, but have not done much in the way of photographing for my personal work since the new year. The first big snow storm of the year yielded a couple of action shots of my three year old playing in the snow, and I tried to get a couple of photos from one time when I was prepping dinner (the lighting from the kitchen window was too good to pass up).

This past weekend I found myself in Greenpoint, Brooklyn photographing a 40th birthday party. When I scouted out my trip there on the map, I noticed a public park just a block away called WNYC Transmitter Park. As the name says, there used to be a transmitter for WNYC located there, but now it is a park with a pier that takes you out over the East River. I decided that I needed to make time before I left the area and grab some shots for my personal portfolio.

After I was done getting the room shots for the event, I left and made my way to the pier. It was a cold night, though in the high twenties as opposed to the teens as it has been. The wind whipping off of the icy East River did not feel good though, so I stayed out there for maybe 20mins before I decided to pack it up.

Williamsburg Bridge linking BK to Manhattan
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/8, 25sec, 100ISO, 11mm
Post Processing was done by tweaking the RAW files in Adobe Lightroom. I tweaked the white balance towards the cool side because that is the mood I felt these pictures convey to me, but it may be I am still frozen. I usually crop to the original aspect ratio or 16x9, but this time, I decided to do 2x1 aspect ration. These cityscapes just felt very wide to me and 16x9 wasn't wide enough.

Midtown
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/4, 3.2sec, 100ISO, 11mm

No comments:

Post a Comment