Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wide Angle Wednesday, Downtown Phoenix

My family and I spent two weeks in sunny Phoenix, Arizona over the holidays. The ironic thing was the weather was colder in Phoenix than it was in New York City over the course of my vacation. 

My father-in-law came out to spend the holidays with my family, so one day we went to downtown Phoenix so I could show him my hometown city. These are just a few of the photos I took that day. It was interesting to see how much has changed there.

Hotel San Carlos
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/8, 1/250sec, 200ISO, 11mm
The Hotel San Carlos open in 1928, which is ancient in Phoenician terms. I believe it was the first in Phoenix to feature air conditioning. I've always loved the fact that there was a pool on the rooftop.

Chase Tower
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/8, 1/250sec, 200ISO, 11mm
Chase Tower is Phoenix's tallest building, it also happens to be Arizona's tallest building. Formally known as Valley Center (Valley National Bank), then Bank One Center, it was built in 1972 to a height of 40 stories, though the top occupied floor is 38. Having lived in NYC, 40 stories just seems so low, but these buildings still make one feel small.

Phoenix City Hall
Canon 60D, Tokina Pro DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8, f/8, 1/500sec, 200ISO, 11mm



Phoenix City Hall was completed in 1994. It tops out at 20 stories tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment